1 Day Inca Trail To Machu Picchu
On the 1 day Inca Trail, you hike the Short Inca Trail and visit Machu Picchu Citadel all in one day. The trail covers the last one third of the Classic Inca Trail, passes through the Sun Gate and enters directly into Machu Picchu with postcard views of Machu Picchu. On the trail you get to visit the famous Wiñay Wayna ruins and hike on the actual stone steps that the Inca walked themselves. Upon arriving to Machu Picchu, you get a private guided tour, visiting many of the hidden corners of the Inca monument in the afternoon.
It is very important for potential trekkers for the 1 Day Inca Trail to understand that you are doing the same trail as the 2 Day Inca Trail, just more quickly. Trekkers need to be in moderate to good physical condition to be able to do this trek and arrive at Machu Picchu Citadel on time. If you think the trek may be too strenuous, you may book the 2 day Short Inca Trail which arrives to Machu Picchu in one day but at a slower pace later in the day.
Hike the last section of the Inca Trail through the Sun Gate and explore Wiñaywayna Ruins!
Day 1: Inca Trail to Machu Picchu through the Sun Gate & explore Machu Picchu right away!
- At 4:00 am your guide will pick you up with our van at your hotel in Cusco or in Ollantaytambo at 5:30 am.
- You will travel through the Sacred Valley to the Ollantaytambo Train Station to catch the 6:10 am Expedition Train.
- The Expedition train ride consists of spectacular views in the Sacred Valley of the Incas. It takes a little over an hour to get to KM 104, the start of the trek.
- At 7:30 – 8:00 am, you and your guide will start hiking through the original Inca Trail to the Sun gate, from where you will have the first amazing view of Machu Picchu. The exact time depends on the group.
- You will explore amazing Inca cities along the Inca Trail, especially the Wiñay Wayna Inca ruins.
- Enjoy a gourmet box lunch after exploring the Wiñay Wayna archaeological site, usually around noon.
- An hour or so after lunch you will arrive at the Sun Gate where you get your first view of Machu Picchu!
- By 2 pm you start exploring Machu Picchu Citadel. Your guide will explain all the history of this amazing and mysterious Incan city.
- By late afternoon, enjoy the sunset and take the iconic postcard photo of Machu Picchu when it is almost empty of tourists.
- At 5 pm take the bus down to Aguas Calientes, with time for a quick dinner in a restaurant, or to buy a take out dinner to eat on the train. (Dinner is not included).
- The Expedition Train departs at 6:20pm back to Ollantaytambo and then we will drive you back to your hotel in Cusco in our private van. If you choose the Vistadome, your train will depart at 6:10pm.
Please note: It is not possible to climb Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain due to time restraints.
If you choose, you can stay the night in Aguas Calientes; we will book your return train for the next day. You need to book your own hotel.
You can start the trek from Ollantaytambo too, if you we do recommend to stay our own lodge; Veronica View Hotel
WHAT IS INCLUDED FOR THE 1 DAY INCA TRAIL TO MACHU PICCHU?
- Transfer from the airport to your hotel
- Pick up at your hotel by your guide
- Private transport from your hotel to the train station
- Bus ticket from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes
- English speaking professional guide experienced in trekking
- Expedition Train from Ollantaytambo at 104 kilometers and from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo
- Admission Ticket to the Inca trail and Machu Picchu Archeological site
- Box lunch
- Private guided tour of Machu Picchu
- First-aid kit including emergency oxygen tank
- Private van connection to Cusco
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED FOR THE 1 DAY INCA TRAIL TO MACU PICCHU?
- It is not possible to do the Wayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain climb due to time restraints
- Energy snacks such as chocolate bars, dried fruits
- First breakfast & Dinner at Aguas Calientes
- Tips for the staff (Spider Travel Peru staff receives a fair payment immediately after they end their trip; tips are optional but greatly appreciated by them)
- Upgrade to Vistadome Train: $67 USD per person – (Return only)
ADDED VALUES for FREE:
- TRANSFER IN: from the airport to hotel included (Airport to hotel in Cusco only)
BEST PRICE FOR THIS UNIQUE TREK!
The 1 day Inca Trail to Machu Picchu is available on any date that suits you as long as permits are available! We just require a minimum of 2 participants for group service!
- $397 USD per person
PRIVATE SERVICE PRICES:
- $437 USD per person – 2 to 3 people
- $417 USD per person – 4 or more people
PRIVATE PRICE 1 person only:
- $547 USD per person – 1 person only private trek
We require a minimum of 2 hikers in order to start the trek for group service. For solo travellers- please inquire on the dates you are looking to trek.
- 18 to 25 years old: $30 USD. Information required on student card: name of university, student name, photo of student, expiration date etc. A copy of the card is required at booking for government approval for discount.
- Under 18 years old: $30 USD. Please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking.
- Under 11 years old: $40 USD. Please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking.
- Upgrade to Vistadome: $67 USD per person (Return only)
- Stay the night in Aguas Calientes; book on your own a 2* 3*or 4* hotel. (We will arrange your return train back to Cusco for the next day)
The Short Inca Trail to Machu Picchu is almost always available year round as long as permits are available except when it is closed in February for maintenance — This trek takes you into Machu Picchu by walking through the Sun Gate like in the ancient times and you will explore some amazing Inca ruins along the way such as Wiñay Wayna Inca City.
Please read the following information carefully; it will help you answer all of your questions about our services and the 1 day Inca Trail to Machu Picchu.
ARRIVAL IN CUSCO
You will be welcomed at Cusco airport and taken to your hotel. Please ensure that you inform us of your full flight details at least 14 days prior to arrival. Look out for our representative holding an orange SPIDER Travel Peru board at the arrival terminal. Please note that you will have to exit the airport first, drivers are not allowed to enter the airport. This can be done on any date that works best for you!
Your briefing will take place the night before your trek. It will be held at our office at 6 or 6:30pm, depending on your confirmation email details. The office is located at Calle Garcilaso 210, office 213 (second floor) in the La CASA DEL ABUELO shopping center.
CAN I STORE MY LUGGAGE AT YOUR OFFICE?
Of course! During the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, your main luggage can be stored at our office or at your hotel, whichever is more convenient for you. Only pack items you will need for your trek.
HOW TO BOOK
FIRST, to book your 1 day Inca Trail Machu Picchu trek, we need you to fill out our booking form by clicking on BOOK NOW on our home page or click here the link BOOK NOW.
Please be ready with the following information (FROM EACH PARTICIPANT in your group). We cannot purchase an Inca Trail permit without the following information:
- Personal information (your full name, exactly as on your passport):
- Passport number
- D.OB. (dd / mm / yyyy)
SECOND, we require a deposit of $211.00 USD per person in order to purchase a permit for the 1 day Inca Trail Machu Picchu. You can make your deposit by clicking on the VISA or PAYPAL symbols on the top of our home page, or you can click on the VISA or PAYPAL symbols on our booking page.
WHAT ABOUT THE BALANCE?
If you would like to avoid the high credit card fees in Peru, you may pay in cash at our office (US dollars or Peruvian soles) here in Cusco. There are many ATMS within the historical center to withdraw money. You can also pay by VISA or PAYPAL online but you will have to pay a 5.5% service fee, charged by VISA and PAYPAL. To pay your balance through PAYPAL, you need to log into your PAYPAL account and use our email address email@example.com
HOW DO I QUALIFY FOR THE STUDENT DISCOUNT?
According to Peruvian Law, you must be under 18 years of age at the time of your trek or tour to Machu Picchu (students 18 & above need student cards). For example: if you book a trek at the age of 17 but you turn 18 before you do your trek, you must have a valid university ID card to qualify for the student discount.
- University students must provide a copy of their ID card showing a photo, University name and card expiration date. Cards must be valid for the current academic year only.
- All students from 11 to 17 years, the discount is $30 USD.
- For children from the age of 2 to 11 the discount is $40 USD.
- Children from the age of 0 to 2 are free.
All students must provide a copy of their passport at the time of their booking to get the student discount. Send us a copy at firstname.lastname@example.org
MAY I CHANGE THE DEPARTURE DATE AFTER THE TICKETS HAVE BEEN BOUGHT?
Unfortunately, the answer is No. Once the tickets have been bought the government does not allow any changes, so we can’t change any departure date after the ticket has been bought. Tickets are also not transferable nor refundable. If you cancel your Inca Trail Trek, the deposit is not refundable at all!
DO I NEED MY ORIGINAL PASSPORT ON THE 1 DAY INCA TRAIL?
OF COURSE! You have to bring your original passport and it is very important that it is the same passport number you sent to us to book your 1 day Inca Trail Machu Picchu permit. In case you are renewing your passport, go ahead and send us your old number to secure your permit, and we can change it when you get your new passport number. Please send us the new passport number as soon as possible.
WHAT IS THE WEATHER LIKE?
The weather is very unpredictable and it’s difficult to foresee. We recommend to always dress in layers as that makes it easier to adjust to quickly changing weather.
IS THE TREK DIFFICULT, DO I NEED TO BE FIT?
The 1 day Inca Trail Machu Picchu is a 12km (7.5 miles) hike through the Andes in the Cusco region. The maximum altitude reached is 2700mt. You need at least have a moderate level of fitness.
In preparation: try walking 15kms/ 9 miles in a day or working out in the months leading up to the trek. It is also important to be well acclimatized to the altitude. Try to spend at least 2 or 3 days in Cusco (3350m/11,047ft) prior to starting the trek.
AT WHAT TIME IS THE TRAIN’S DEPARTURE?
It will depend on the train availability but the idea is to give you as much time as possible in Machu Picchu and enjoy the amazing views on the way back to Cusco while on the train. The Expedition train departs at 6:20pm from Ollantaytambo.
HOW MUCH IS THE VISTADOME TRAIN UPGRADE?
The Vistadome train service has nicer seats, panoramic windows and ceiling. You will be offered snacks and a dance show will take place on board. You can upgrade to the Vistadome Train for $67 USD. These trains run from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo. We will you up in Ollantaytambo and drive you back to Cusco, which takes about 2 hours. Please request in advance this upgrade. The Vistadome departs at 6:10pm from Aguas Calientes.
ARE WE DROPPED AT OUR HOTEL AFTER THE 1 DAY INCA TRAIL?
Absolutely!! Hotel pick-ups and drop-offs are included with all of our packages! If you have booked your hotel in the Sacred Valley, we will drop you off there and vice versa.
In general, if you exercise regularly and spend a couple of days in Cusco or the Sacred Valley, you will be able to acclimate normally. It usually takes about 24 hours to 2 days.
The recommended remedies for altitude sickness are WATER, COCA TEA and OXYGEN IF NEEDED; our guides are trained to treat you for Altitude Sickness. See our detailed information about Altitude Sickness under FAQS.
If you’re happy with the services provided, a tip – though not compulsory – is appreciated. While it may not be customary in your country, it’s of great significance for the people who will take care of you during the trek. It inspires excellent service and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry across many SPIDER Travel Peru destinations. Of course, you are free to tip more or less as you feel appropriate, depending on your perception of the quality and the length of your trip. Remember, a tip is not compulsory and should only be given when you receive excellent service.
ARE YOU SUSTAINABLE?
Yes, we are a local, sustainable & responsible tourism operator that incorporates universal principles of tourism: protect the environment and benefit the local communities by respecting their culture and religion. With this in mind, we have trained all our local staff to know and understand, respect the places and the local people.
PACKING CHECKLIST FOR THE 1 DAY INCA TRAIL TOMACHU PICCHU
The 1 Inca Trail Machu Picchu DOES NOT INCLUDE the extra porter, so, you will need to carry all your things, please try to pack as light as possible which is the key to enjoy this amazing trek
- Original passport (it has to be the same you have used for booking your trek)
- Good daypack (the smaller, the better)
- Water: 2L in reusable bottles (please do not bring disposable bottles)
- Comfortable hiking boots with ankle support
- Toilet paper
- Dress in layers
- Hand sanitizer
- Wet wipes
- Personal medications
- Sun hat
- Insect repellent
- Wool hat (only in the cold season)
- Rain gear if rainy season
- Snacks (chocolate bars, cereal bars or any dry fruits)
- Extra money for souvenirs, drinks & tips